Sunday, August 3, 2008

I Love You, Will You Marry Me?




In the first century, during the New Testament time, when a young Jewish man reached marrying age and his family selected an appropriate wife for him, the young man and his father would meet the young woman and her father to negotiate the “bride price,” the figurative cost of replacing a daughter. The price was usually very high.

When the negotiations were complete, the custom was for the young man’s father to pour a cup of wine and hand it to his son. His son would turn to the young woman, lift the cup and hold it out to her, saying, “This cup is a new covenant in my blood, which I offer to you.” In other words, it was his way of saying, “I love you, and I’ll give you my life. Will you marry me?”

The young woman had a choice. She could take the cup and return it and say no. Or she could answer without saying a word—by drinking the cup. This act was her way of saying, “I accept your offer, and I will marry you and give you my life.”

On the night of the Last Supper, Jesus and his disciples sat down together celebrating Passover. The disciples knew the liturgy very well; they had celebrated Passover all their lives. When it came time to drink the third cup of wine, the cup of redemption, Jesus lifted the cup as the disciples would expect and offered traditional Seder thanks. The same words are used to this day: “Blessed are You, Lord our God, King of the universe, for giving us the fruit of the vine.” And then he offered it to them but said something they probably did not expect: “This cup is a new covenant in my blood, which I offer to you.”

It’s hard to know what those disciples thought that night. Maybe a few chuckled a bit at Jesus making a marriage proposal, which must have seemed totally out of place in a Passover Seder. And yet, they may have understood Jesus’ willingness to die, be buried, and eventually raised to say, “I love you, and as my Father promised your fathers, I’ll pay the price for you. And in response will you love me back by giving me your life?”

When we celebrate the Lord’s Supper, we must be mindful of Jesus’ offer. He still says, “I love you.” He proved the extent of his love by dying on a cross for our sins. He says to us, “I offer you my life. Will you be my bride?” The taking of the cup is a solemn moment, a sentimental memento, for it is in that moment that one looks to the Heavenly Father and says, “Yes, I accept your offer, and I give you my life in response.”

It was our sin that nailed him to the cross. He was an innocent victim. He did not deserve to die. We did. But he took our place. And so that we will never forget, we gather at the table, to remember him. We taste the bread and sip from the cup to recall the life that was taken, the sacrifice that was made, and our part in the tragedy.

Have you taken the cup? Have you accepted Jesus’ offer? Have you given your life in response? Do you remember when you did that? Is it as vivid in your mind today as the day you prayed to invite Jesus in your heart? That moment needs to be etched on the recesses of your mind. This is something we cannot forget.


Excerpted from: The Symbols: So You Will Never Forget. Rick Ezell. www.lifeway.com

No comments: